1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 429 Cobra Jet SportsRoof
The Ford Mustang Mach 1 is a performance-oriented option package of the Ford Mustang, originally introduced by Ford in August 1968 as a package for the 1969 model year. The Mach 1 title adorned performance oriented Mustang offerings until the original retirement of the moniker in 1978.
By 1971, Mustang production peaked at 149,678 units, and the division was known as the Ford Marketing Corporation. The Boss Mustang 351 was now the most serious package on offer. But for buyers who wanted something slightly less hairy, but still with a sporty flavor, the Mustang Mach 1 remained the street-friendly alternative for this model year. The car came complete with a full sports appearance package and was available with a range of power plant options. These varied from the relatively mild 210 horsepower 302-cid V8 all the way through to the Cobra Jet 429, or even the completely wild 375 horsepower 429-cid Super Cobra Jet fitted with Ram Air Induction. 1971 would be the final year that this gulping 429 Big Block Ford Powerhouse was an offer.
ONE OF ONE RARE HIGHLY OPTIONED
Southern California Mustang!
‘True, rare, and a one of a kind barn find’ is the best way to describe this car. It possesses some of the most sought after options in a Mustang. From performance to luxury, this car is equipped with almost everything you could’ve possibly purchased back in 1971. Only owned by two families throughout its existence, it was originally purchased from the Beverly Hills Ford Dealer and lived in Southern California for most of its life.
The story adds up too! Here’s why…
Most ‘barn finds’ that have been in the east coast for their entirety are usually found with massive amounts of rusted body panels and floors which may or may not have been poorly patched over the years. The reason being is simple: road salt. It is the “Kryptonite” of classic cars. It breaks down all of the sheet metal and destroys frames, floors, quarters, wheel wells, trunks, etc. However, when a car has primarily seen most of its active life on the west coast such as SoCal or southern Arizona, your barn finds are mostly found still retaining the factory body panels and little to no rust.
In this particular case, this Mustang has spent its life being driven on the beautiful Southern California area which has kept this car from completely rotting out unlike a car you’d find on the road salt-ridden east coast.
It’s very rare to find a classic car with all of the original stamped body panels like this car possesses.
PAY ATTENTION FORD COLLECTORS…THIS IS A REAL ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY
It wasn’t until 1997 where a family from New Jersey had purchased the car from Duffy’s Classic Cars and has been kept inside their barn since then. They had unfortunately lost a family member and had called us about purchasing the car from their estate. We pulled it out of the barn in just about the same condition you see in the photos and had only done minor correction and repair to get the car to start, run, steer, and stop. Our goal was to not strip the car of any of its originality.
ELITE MARTI REPORT THAT COMES WITH THE CAR!
Continuing more into the details of this fine piece of automotive history, this ’71 Mustang Cobra Jet is as true and authentic as one can be! It was just fully documented and verified by an Elite Marti Report. For those of you who are not aware, a ‘Marti Report’ is a Ford Licensed Production Report produced by Kevin Marti who owns the exclusive rights to the Ford Production Records from 1967 to 2014. It allows any individual to verify all of the information the car is equipped with. From its drivetrain, to its paint, interior, and any other features, you will be able to tell very easily if something is not quite right or original to the car.
It was professionally framed with the Window Sticker, Reproduction Data Plate, the Elite Marti Report, as well as personalized statistics to show you that this car is 1 OF 1! In lots of cases, GM cars like Camaro’s usually have upgraded/aftermarket engines in them such as a 454 or 383 Stroker but can at times be very difficult to truly verify what the original equipment on the car had been. Such is commonly the case with a Z/28 Camaro!
In addition, you will also find that the car includes a reproduced original Vehicle Invoice, Window Sticker, as well as the Door Tag from Marti Auto Works. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to own something of this nature with this kind of documentation. You’d be silly to stop reading here! This car is just overflowing with how many options it is equipped with which can be read about navigating to the Under the Hood, Exterior, and Interior Sections!
This is not your average, ‘run in the mill’ so to speak, 1971 Mustang badged as a Mach 1 with a big block. From its Mach 1 SportsRoof Trim Package painted Raven Black, to the 429-4V Ram Air V8 Engine, to the Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, and Bucket Seats, you can be absolutely sure this car will outshine most other ’71 Mustangs ever produced.
This car is only 1 of 167 cars ever produced with this Paint Color and Mach 1 Trim Package. Because of the fact that it is also factory equipped with the Cobra Jet Ram Air Package, it only adds the icing to the cake! Again, don’t miss out, people. We are almost sure we will never come across something this original, super rare, and highly optioned again!
ONE OF ONE RARE HIGHLY OPTIONED SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA MUSTANG!
Overall, we are sure you will be very pleased with this unique Marti Report proven one of one ’71 Mach 1 Mustang. Please keep in mind this is almost a 50 year old car that has never undergone a restoration and is what we consider a true barn find. As previously mentioned, we pulled the car out of the barn ourselves and only did minor corrections so the car starts, runs, stops, and steers. We would consider this car to be an ultimate investment quality car because of its history and unique characteristics. Whether you decide to leave it in its current shape for that time capsule appeal or take it to a concours restoration level, this 1971 Mustang would be the perfect candidate. This is your one and only chance to own a car that was pulled out of a time capsule where there is absolutely nothing else like it. Don’t pass on this fine piece of American automotive art!
- Very clean and original Factory Style Engine Compartment with lots of correct parts that add the true nostalgia of an almost 50 year old factory high performance street car.
- Powered by the famed and correct 429-4V Cobra Jet Engine!
- This engine is factory rated at 370 Horsepower and 450 lb/ft of Torque!
- Many enthusiasts have dyno proved that these high performance engines produced a lot more than its official rating. Car manufacturers did this back in the day so insurance companies wouldn't charge higher rates to its customers! An engine like this is said to realistically produce 10% more than what it was actually rated at!
- Features 11.3:1 Compression
- AutoLite stamped Factory 700 CFM High Performance Rochester 4-Barrel Carburetor
- 4-Bolt Main Block
- 2.24/1.72 Intake/Exhaust Valves with Guide Plates
- C6 Cruise-O-Matic Select-Shift Automatic Transmission that plants this Cobra Power straight to the rear tires!
- Correct OEM Ford R-12 Air Conditioning Compressor still present with the original Ford Tag!
- Freshly Rebuilt and Restored ALL ORIGINAL Rochester 4-Barrel Carburetor that still has the correct Autolite Service Tag and that original cad/bronze looking finish.
- All the stampings and numbers are present and was meticulously restored with all new gaskets, seals, and diaphragms.
- All parts were carefully disassembled, jet washed and tanked, and carefully reassembled with the finest attention to detail!
- It was also wet flow tested on the bench for proper function. It starts up and feeds this 429 Cobra just what it needs!
- Power Steering that turns effortlessly
- Factory Ram Air Style Air Cleaner with a brand new air filter element
- Vacuum Powered Front Disc Brakes Option
- Brand New Correct Air Cleaner Lid with Factory Correct Air Cleaner Decal
- Factory Correct Core Support Decals
- Factory SelectAire Air Conditioning is still present!
- Intermittent Windshield Wiper System
- Ford 9" Rear End with 3.25 Conventional Gears
- Factory Car Battery with Tag
- Brand New Powermaster Alternator
- Freshly Remanufactured Power Steering Gearbox (We still possess the original that was removed as it should be kept with the car)
- New A/C Drive Belt
- Freshly detailed exterior that brings out that beautiful luster and shine this 1971 Mach 1 Mustang is known to have!
- Buffed, Compounded, Polished, and Waxed all paint areas!
- All chrome/trim hand polished
- Beautiful Original Factory Born Dearborn, Michigan Car that spent most of its life in California that features an incredibly clean body when compared to cars that have lived on the east coast in the heart of the salty winter roads for their entire life!
- Super Rare Original Raven Black Color Car with the Mach 1 Striping and Trim!
- The shop who had repainted this car back in the 1990's made sure to repaint this car back to the factory colors which was an uncommon practice for most classic cars!
- Tuned Dual Exhaust System with Chrome Exhaust Tips
- Correct Magnum 500 Chrome Wheels with Pony Center Caps
- Sits on Factory Correct Goodyear Polyglas GT F60-15 Tires!
- These are replicas of the original tires this car was initially purchased with back on March 11th, 1971!
- Tinted Glass in all Windows just like the factory
- Fully Factory Correct Mach 1 Front Ram Air Hood and Rear Spoiler
- The icing on the cake right here ladies and gentlemen!
- Painted Front Enduro Bumper
- Correct Rear Chrome Bumper
- Brand New High Quality Reproduction Honeycomb Front Grille
- Original Electric Rear Window Defroster Option - Super Rare to find in these cars!
- Stamped Factory Quarter Panels with the Original Markings that can be seen in the photos below!
- The Front Fenders, Door Jambs, Quarter Panels, Trunk Lid, Hood Latch Release, and Leaf Spring Torque Boxes are all stamped with Original Ford Numbers which shows you this car has all original sheet metal making it super rare and one of a kind as this car (unlike most restored cars) is actually a REAL FORD that is TRULY AMERICAN BUILT!
- No overseas sheet metal. Casted from the bare hands of American Steel workers, you bet this Pony Car is as American as it gets.
- Even the Radiator Core Support has the factory sheet metal stampings.
- To see a car that possesses as many factory components as this one is absolutely astounding and should be noted that cars like this are not as prevalent in this day and age.
Quarter Panels (Under Trunk Lid):
Quarter Panels (Door Jamb Area):
Radiator Core Support:
Hood Release Assembly:
Left Rear Torque Box:
- Nice, freshly cleaned interior that is super highly optioned!
- Black Knit Vinyl High Back Bucket Seats that were refinished in the same color combination as the exterior!
- Center Console with Select-Shift Automatic Transmission Package
- Factory Center Console Clock
- Selectaire Factory Air Conditioning and Heating System still in place!
- Factory Ford Stamped AM Stereo Radio still in dash! Even has all the buttons and knobs!
- This car was updated with a Kenwood system with speakers and amplifiers in 1999.
- All dash knobs and pedal trim is still present
- Factory Dash gauges with Speedometer, Tachometer (RPM Gauge), and Fuel Level are all still present!
- Center Dash Oil Pressure, Alternator, and Temperature Gauges still present
- All air vents still in place
- Factory Steering Wheel
- Remote Controlled Side View Mirror
- Rear Defrost Option
- FULL Power Window Option Front and Rear that are all STILL working!
- Clean headliner with working dome light
- Brand New Driver Side Inner Door Handle and Cup Insert
- Door panels are in nice clean shape
- Even the correct Tire Pressure Sticker on the Door Jamb is present!! This car almost appears as it was frozen in time.
- The jacking instructions decal on the back of the trunk lid is also present along with the spare tire and equipment
- Fully Working Horn
- Even the factory door buzzer still works and is loud and clear! Open your door and this Cobra Jet Mustang will remind you not to lock your keys in your car!
- Kick Panel Light fully works
- Modern Lap Seat Belts present
- Fully Working Parking/Emergency Foot Brake with a Warning Indicator Light that still works when depressed!!
- Even the Seat Belt Warning Light still works when the car is set to 'On'!
- Overall a very clean and original undercarriage that was recently detailed and cleaned up
- Dual Chambered Exhaust System with Crossover that let's this 429 Cobra Jet Big Block Ford breathe fire!
- Multi-Leaf Spring Rear Suspension that is connected to a Ford 9" Rear End which is arguably the strongest rear end that was ever produced!
- Still widely used across all makes and models of the classic collector car industry, this is a very difficult rear end to break!
- So strong that Ford actually stop making it because it wouldn't break! At the time, the automotive parts industry had a such a high surplus of replacement components for these rear ends but not much was sold as there were little complaints for its design. Ford, in turn, had designed weaker rear ends so the parts and service industry could get better bite and move product.
- Floors are in very clean and original shape with many factory stampings and manufacturing indications that tell us these floors were NEVER replaced!
- Heavy Duty Driveshaft that transmits Big Block Ford Power to the rear wheels!
- KYB Rear Shocks
- Factory Exhaust Manifolds